Saturday, February 9, 2008

Calling everyone with a big heart!!! lol

There is something that I would like to share with all of you. I would guess that anyone reading this not only knows me well, but also knows how much I not only love my son, but also how much I fell in love with his birth country. A good friend of mine that I met during our adoption has created an organization called Guatemalan Harvest which aims to pool resources together for the impoverished people of rural Guatemala.

Let me tell you, this country is so beautiful and filled with such amazing people. However, so many are struggling far more than we can imagine to simply get by every day. Far too many children are unable to afford school and far too many parents are forced to work for very little simply to be able to put a mud roof over their children's heads.

The first project for Guatemalan Harvest is a book drive which will help a very small school called El Tablon. Basically, you can purchase children's books for your family or (and better yet!!) you can purchase books to be donated to the school. Everything will be delivered together and there will be pictures of the children receiving their new books.

They are also working to gather donations to help the school purchase more land. It is currently a mud structure with 3 rooms for 150 students. And no, that is not a typo.

Please take a look at the Guatemalan Harvest website and see if there is a way that you can help these amazing people!!!

http://guatemalanharvest.com


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who is sending you this info? Was it someone we met in Guatamala? What a great idea and I hope lots of people look up the website and help out!! Cissy

Unknown said...

No, we didn't meet her there. She used the same agency and she's also an Army wife (Ft. Bragg). She has two from Guatemala, one of them came home not long before Mumble did and it had been a long process, though, they're first one, I believe, went smoothly. Anyway, she's been really helpful to me, both military and adoption-wise. I hope the organization does really well!!