Monday, April 11, 2011

Three weeks later ...

... and we are well on our way to officially being a homeschool family!  I honestly think that everyone here is pretty excited.  Watching Bug learn has reminded the grandparents of the awe they felt when my brother and I were young and McH and I are loving the first time around with all of this awe business.

I'm digging through the internet trying to find the right curriculum.  Not an easy thing to do, apparently.  These days there are a plethora of curriculum choices.  That might make my job of researching seem endless, but it's so amazing to see that we can really find something that works for us ... and, if we can't, then I am more than able with all of the options to create something that does.

Next time I'll post before and after pictures of our "homeschool" room, we are very nearly complete.  The last major items are to find a big, comfy reading chair and to make a blackboard - we have the items, just have to get it finished.  THEN, we get to decorate!  We have wall stickers with the alphabet, numbers, fishies and big, fun circles!

So, back to researching I go.  I have been settled two curricula over the past several weeks (ha!) and I'm thinking I'm close to settled for the third time!  Will it be the charm?

Here are the two I was previously enamored with:

Enki Education
Oak Meadow

Now I'm looking at:
Moving Beyond the Page

I'll add in foreign language (Spanish and maybe French or Latin??) and music.  I may also add math.  We're going to start out using Starfall and BOB books for phonics and see if we need to add Explode the Code.

So, there ya have it!  Funny, I read about a lot of people who have people around them being very harsh and critical about the choice to homeschool.  We just haven't had that!  It's like when we adopted and so many of my friends had such a difficult time with the mean and ignorant things people (even family!) would say and we were absolutely blessed to go through the process without that.  I'm SO thankful that we have such a supportive family!!

Wonder where we'll be in another three weeks!!

3 comments:

Hen Jen said...

welcome to blogging, you'll have a blast! :)

yeah, I hear you about too many choices with curriculum, it's a blessing and a curse.

one thing I did with my young children was Five in a Row- not a complete curriculum package, but a very gentle dive into literature- with added on studies into social studies, art, math, science-if you wanted. I did not regret using this with my kids, it's gentle with a lot of reading. :)

good luck on your journey!

Hen Jen said...

oops, I meant to say, -Welcome to homeschooling!! ...I must have my neglected blog on my brain...

:p

Unknown said...

I was confused at first, welcome to homeschooling makes much more sense!! I have thought of doing something like FIAR and adding on, though I do like the idea of a full curriculum for our first year. I hope you keep stopping by and offering advice to this newbie!!! :)