Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Superwoman

It is still amazing to me being a mother. Once in a while something happens that blows me away.

A block. It's blue and has bells inside it. It has pictures on each of the four sides. It is also one in a set of four blocks; a green block that has a frog on it and vibrates when you pull it's tail; a yellow one with a duck on it that quacks when you squeeze it; and a red one ... I can't remember what the red one does. I bought them at Wal-mart and at Wal-mart the blue block nearly ended it's life with us.

This year we have had some wind. And by wind I mean W I N D, maybe even W I N D. Now, if you have ever taken an 18 month old child to Wal-mart who is teething 4 (I'm told they're stomach teeth) new teeth, thinks he's in the terrible twos and is hungry, then you can relate. (If you have more than one child, don't even tell me because I can't even wrap my head around that and I think smoke may actually begin spewing out of my ears if I try.) Once again, I digress. So, I was attempting to get my darling son into the car and had the hatch up. This lovely (read: not very helpful) man said, "ma'am, is that blue thing yours?" and I saw it. The blue block rolling as fast as a little blue block can roll down the parking lot.

By the time my charming (screaming ... I need to figure out that cross-out thing) son was tucked into his car seat and I was tucked into my carseat, the blue block was no longer in sight. In fact, it was only in seat for a brief moment. I drove up and down the aisle as slow as I could without racking up too many "birds", before heading into a little strip mall parking lot (across from the Wal-mart and between W and the highway). I continued to look without luck and decided that the blue block had moved on to a new family. Slowly leaving the parking lot and heading away from the highway, something caught my eye. The blue block! (Cue angel music, which gradually evolves into the dramatic, something-bad/dangerous/evil-is-about-to-happen music.)

I saw it, but the where of the blue block was the problem. It was in the turning lane from the highway into the Wal-mart parking lot. Not normally a problem, however, that darn WIND was still blowing along with the ferocity of a cornered ... something or other. I parked, left the air on and a door open and ran. I ran for all I was worth, hoping to get the blue block, looking over my shoulder to make sure that no one was taking off in my car with my now quiet monkey.

I GOT IT! Phew! And, when I opened his door and showed him the block while panting and sweating and nearly flying away he looked at me. He looked at the blue block (did I mention he hadn't looked at the blue block in months?). He laughed. He smiled. He looked at me like I was Superwoman.

Some people save lives. I save blue blocks. I may need a uniform.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH They don't put that in the "Dummy's Handbook for Motherhood"! I am so glad that you are posting often again because he will love reading this when he is older. We will have to probably print this into a little book for him. (And for you, when he goes through his terrible teens, which then you will wish he was in his terrible two's!) Love, Cissy

Anonymous said...

WHEW, THAT WORE ME OUT!! That's why the young ones have the babies, I guess. see you soon luv rb

Anonymous said...

smoke does come out my ears.

well done, block saver. well done.

Ruthanne said...

You ARE super woman and I can hardly even bring myself to tell you this after everything you did to save that block, but I have to.

That blue block (not the red, or the green or the yellow block...only the blue block) is on the list of things from China that contain lead. Ugh. There. I said it. After all that, the blue block has to go.

I'm sooooo sorry. :)

Unknown said...

Wow, well, blue block has (or will be) removed. I'm donating my uniform to Ruthanne!